Saikhom Mirabai Chanu Biography, Silver Medal for India in Tokyo Olympics, Commonwealth Gold Medalist, Won Medal in Tokyo Olympics, 49 kg Category
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu is better regarded as Mirabai Chanu who is a renowned Indian sportsperson. She recently represented India in Tokyo Olympics held in 2021 and made proud by winning her first Silver medal in the category of weightlifting.
On August 8, 1994, Mirabai Chanu won the first gold medal for India by lifting a total of 196 kg (110 kg in Clean and 86 kg in Snatch) and secured the first position in 2018 held Commonwealth Games.
At the time of achieving this phenomenon record, Mirabai not only secured the first position but also broke as many as six records in weightlifting as well. In the end, she managed to secure the first position in 48 kg category of women’s weightlifting.
Looking at her record, the government of India awarded Mirabai Chanu with Padma Shri which is a great honor for the country. The hometown of Mirabai is in Manipur (India).
Table of Contents
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu Biography
|Full Name||Saikhom Mirabai Chanu|
|Date of Birth||August 8, 1994|
|Age (as on 2021)||24 years|
|Height||4 Feet 11 Inches|
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu Silver Medal in Olympics
Mira Bai Chanu has made the country proud by winning a silver medal in the category of 49 kg in the recently held Tokyo Olympics. After she achieved this spectacular win, India managed to get its first medal in 2021 Tokyo Olympics.
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu Date of Birth
The birth place of Mirabai Chanu is in Imphal, situated in the east of Manipur. Her date of birth falls on August 8, 1994. She’s 23 years of age as on 2021. She started her primary education from imphal.
Mirabai Chanu Family
Mirabai Chanu belongs to a middle class family. Her mother is both a shop owner and a housewife. Her mother’s name is Saikohan Ungbi Tombi Lima. Her father, Psychohan Kriti Meitei works in the PWD department.
Right from her childhood, Mirabai Chanu was fond of weightlifting. She used to practice herself by lifting heavy objects.
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu Coach
Kunjarani Devi is the coach of Mirabai Chanu, who herself plays for India in the category of weightlifting. Kunjarani is also the resident of Imphal.
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu World Records
In the age of 24, Mirabai Chanu has made several records on her name. Take a look below to find some:
- Mirabai happens to be a female weightlifter who won a gold for India in the 48 kg category at the 2017 World Weightlifting Championships. In 2017, she snatched a silver medal in the Commonwealth Games held in Glasgow
- In 2018, Mirabai won her first Commonwealth Games gold medal in 48 kg category of weightlifting
- She was also a part of 2016 Rio Olympics. But she could not bring any medals at that time
- She has Gold Medal in the Twelfth South Asian Games held in Guwahati in the year 2016.
- Due to her dedication towards sports and also looking at ther consistent performance, the Chief Minister of Manipur has even awarded her a cash prize of Rs 20 lakh
- Along with Mira Bai, Gururaja also made India proud by snatching a silver medal in the category of weightlifting. Common Wealth Games started from 4th April and ended till April 15.
- In the above event, 115 players in men’s section and 105 players in women’s section participated. In the 2014 held Commonwealth Games, India managed to win 15 Gold, 30 Silver and 19 Bronze medals.
Who’s Mira Chanu
Indian sports player
How much is Mirabai Chanu net worth?
Mirabai Chanu is related to which sport?
Mirabai Chanu belongs to which state?